Tips and Tricks
Whether you run a coffee kiosk, lunch bar, café or restaurant, there are many ways to capitalise on the Pink Ribbon Breakfast campaign. Here are some ideas to help promote your involvement and inspire your team:
1. Engage your staff and suppliers
Tell them your business is supporting the Pink Ribbon Breakfast campaign this May and ask them for ideas on how to promote your involvement.
Maybe a staff member could organise a ‘friends and family’ launch event at your place. Or share your café’s involvement on their own Facebook pages. A supplier might be willing to match your donation or provide promoted goods for free or at a discount.
2. Promote your Pink Ribbon Breakfast Special
Only you know what’s popular with your clientele, but whatever you do think pink! It could be a cheeky pink cupcake/coffee combo, a berry pancake stack, a strawberry yoghurt parfait or a pink smoothie with a berry muffin. Pink is the colour universally associated with the fight against breast cancer and the Pink Ribbon Breakfast campaign, plus it’s eye catching!
- Publicise your cafe as a ‘Pink Ribbon Breakfast Supporter or Host.’ And share your promotion on social media.
- Stop people in their tracks – Light up your café with pink fairy lights or place a bright sign outside to grab people’s attention.
- Share a picture of a local identity enjoying your Pink Ribbon Breakfast special and post it online. Or a ‘masculine’ staff member dressed up in the Pink Ribbon Breakfast apron. (Ask for their permission first!)
- Pink up your place - Who doesn’t love a good theme? Whether it’s big and bright, or subtle and classy, it’s important to show your customers you’re proud to be a Pink Ribbon Breakfast café. There will be bunting and balloons in your host kit to help!
- Tell your local newspaper what you’re planning as an official Pink Ribbon Breakfast host. Invite them to sample your Pink Ribbon Breakfast special or to come to you event. Send them a picture of your team dressed up. Think of a local angle that’ll get them interested – maybe one of your clients or staff members is willing to share a breast cancer story.
- Drop flyers around your local neighbourhood or retail strip. Place an ad in your local school’s newsletter to promote your involvement.
3. Dress Pink
In May, have a dress up day each week where staff go all out to win an award for the most imaginative pink costume. Invite your customers to judge the staff on the day. Display the pictures around the café to help promote your Pink Ribbon Breakfast special.
Every day, nominate a staff member to wear a Pink Ribbon Breakfast apron with a crazy pink wig. Maybe it’s the employee who did something silly the day before!
4. Invite your VIP’s to an event
Sell tickets to a special Pink Ribbon Breakfast launch event early May. It could be on Mother’s Day or on a less busy day. Place special invitations on all your tables or when people pay, give them an invite. Theme it: ‘Get your Pink on’, “Bubbles and brunch”, a mother/daughter breakfast with a difference. Invite a local celebrity to speak or musician to play.
5. Be a marshmallow and support BCFNZ.
Have a big jar of pink marshmallows at the counter. Invite customers to donate spare change in return for an entry into the “Guess how many Marshmallows” competition. The best/closest guess wins the lolly jar ….and a free coffee.
6. Run a raffle
Run a raffle at the counter to win a free Pink Ribbon Breakfast at your cafe. Ask customers to put their business card into the draw. At the end of May, draw the winner. You get their contacts for future events.
Tell us your ideas! We’d love to know what you’re planning around your Pink Ribbon Breakfast promotion so please contact us.